Sunday, February 25, 2007

Progress in New Knee Surgery Technique


The article I found is called:Hurt-Knees Rx: Surgical method promotes ligament regeneration. The author is Patrick L. Barry and the subject is surgery. I read the article on the website:http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20070224/fob3.asp.


Now I found this article quite interesting, and I learned a few things about this developing surgery technique. Apparently, surgeons have found a new, and in some ways a better technique to perform knee surgery. Instead of using prothetics to help keep the knee together (for this technique often fails because the prothetics obviously cannot regenerate), surgeons have looked to the rest of the leg. What they do, is they take ligament tissue that regenerates from another part of the same leg and place it where the prothetics would usually go. Now this benefits the knee is some ways (basically, you won't have to get knee surgery again), but there are some cons. One is that is can effect the rest of the leg because you are taking the tissue from the other part of the leg and that can make it hard to move. Currently, they have been testing it on rabbits (much to my dissatisfaction), who do not have a recovery time, but immediately get back to hopping around and such. Humans, who usually take a recovery time, might have a better time with this procedure. Experts know that this isn't the finish line, and they hope to eventually not need to use the ligament tissue from your leg, but another solution. This was a well written article, and I learned quite a bit from it, as you can see.


Blog post written by Jay Reist

No comments: