Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chimps vs. Humans: Where do we draw the line?


The podcast I watched was called: Video: Chimps Make and Use "Spears" to Hunt. This video was made by National Geographic/NOVA. I found it on the website: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070222-chimp-video.html?fs=video.nationalgeographic.com The main topic is chimpanzees' relations to humans.


Now I watched this short video and I was surprised. I knew that there were some type of ape that was similar to humans, but not this similar.

This is what I learned:


Chimpanzees found in Senegal are more adapted than scientists previously thought. Some of us don't think about it, but there is only a 6% difference in our DNA. That means these apes are the closest thing to humans. Scientists have found that these animals have found ways/tools to make food. For instance, in the video, a chimpanzee crushes nuts to make food. This might not seem like a very big deal, but it is. Another new observation is that they do hunt (with tools). In the video, we see a female chimanzee take a spear-like branch and throw it at an animal in a tree, the spear kills the small animal. Then the chimpanzee jumps over to it and takes it for a meal. This means that scientists might have to rethink their theories about these animals.


Blog post by Jay Reist

No comments: