I read this article called:Stroke of Good Fortune: A wealth of data from petrified lightning. I read it on the website: http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20070217/fob5.asp The subject is glass and the author is Sid Perkins. This is what I learned.
Well, as some of us know, when lightning hits sand it creates a kind of glass that presserves chemicals in the air from its surroundings. Well, in the Egyptian dessert, this doesn't happen that often, but 15,000 years ago, it did.
Scientists have recently learned about the of barren Egyptian dessert, but 15,000 years ago. Because fulgurites are found in glass, and rarely erode. This means that the chemicals in the glass have been presserved. After chemical tests of the carbon concentrations found in the glass, scientists have found that after the last ice age, most of Egypt was covered in plants and fields of glass. I liked the article, and I would reccomend this website if you'd like to read some new and interesting things about different subjects in science.
This blog entry was written by Jay Reist.
Sunday, February 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment