Friday, December 22, 2006

Studying Dangerous Viruses

The book I have chose to read for this blog assignment is a research book about the development and history of dangerous viruses and ailments ranging from HIV/AIDS to various types of cancer.
The book is taken from the view points, experiments, and breakthroughs contributed to the study of these sicknesses by various well known immunologists, oncologists, and clinical doctors.
I chose this book mainly to learn more about the progression of studies done on HIV/AIDS, and to learn more about the virus's peculiar characteristics (example: How the virus is able to adapt to withstand the varieties of medications administered to the host).
I also chose this book to learn more about cancer studies of some of the more aggressive cancers. My developing passion for medicine (more specifically Pediatric Oncology) also fueled this choice.
In reading the book, I will also be looking for similarities between the cancers discussed the the HIV/AIDS virus. Though they are two very different diseases, I would not be surprised if I found similarities between them.
As I make new discoveries from the text, I will post that which I find the most intriguing and important.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey this is really cool!
It is so scientifical and the book seems really intresting!
I want to read it!
well good-bye!

Michael Gatton said...

MD

I appreciate that you are the "icebreaker" for the class and posted the first serious and thoughtful entry into our collective reading blog. There are certainly connections between viruses and cancer, but I will let you find out more about them through your reading.

G.

hprocks said...

who's MD?

Rachel Hanson said...

That seems like an interesting book, and I do hope that you enjoy it. It seems as though reading the perspectives of the various doctors would be particularly interesting.

hprocks said...

I know you!!!!
I think you're Emma B!!!!!!
am i right?